Yesterday I was exchanging emails with our friend Duncan about our going home and he made a sweet comment about how Stu was one of his heroes and how much he has helped him to make it where he is today. The irony of this statement is that Duncan and his good friend Cornel are two of our biggest heroes, so much so that I want to write a bit about the impact they've had on us over the years.
They used to facilitate on the course with us; one afternoon we were waiting on a group to start and they told me of a famine that occurred during their childhood. Cornel talked about dropping out of school because he was too hungry to pay attention. They talked about how they would literally eat any leaf they could find. But what struck me is they were laughing as they told their story. They said they had too, laughing was the only thing that would keep them from crying. I tell this story because it shows where they have come from. Their humble roots have gone a long way in helping them to become amazing men of God, they give so much glory to God for all that He has done in their lives and they honor Him by continuing to serve their people.
They've both helped plant a church and taken in HIV+ orphans who had no where else to go. For years Duncan has given poor youth loans to start small business, all from his own resources. Two years ago, when Kenya was hit with post election violence, these two went to the hardest hit places to buy food with the aid money that had been raised. As they handed out food, they told the crowds that only Christ could reconcile their differences. As they travelled, they very much risked their lives as they sought to care for their people. Today they are the local coordinators for Care for Aids, an organization that partners churches in the States with Kenyan churches in response to the AIDS crisis. I could go on, these guys have impacted us so much!
Yet it was the simplest act by Duncan that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I was sitting outside of our office and the guys were doing some work on the course. It was just a day, not a good day or a bad one. Duncan skipped by with this huge grin on his face, he was almost laughing. I said, "Duncan, what are you so happy about?" He simply said, "The King is on the Throne," and continued skipping on. I was so convicted, I wasn't worshipping the King in that moment, I was just sitting there. When I meditate on what true joy looks like, his face in that moment always comes to mind.
When I look at guys like Duncan and Cornel, I'm filled with hope for the Kenyan church and its potential to bring real change in Kenya. We're so blessed to have been able to work with them during our time here.
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment