Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Karoga Bonga!

Lauren and I want to welcome you to our blog.  First things first, I’m sure all you nonswahili speaking people are wondering what in the world Karoga Bonga means.  The literal meaning is to stir (karoga) and talk (bonga) and in Kenya it refers to meal/social activity where a group of people get together and slow cook a curry, and I mean slow, and socialize while the curry is cooking.  Oh, and everyone is required to take a turn stirring the pot while the curry is cooking.  Through a very reliable source, I was informed that this practice was started in Kisumu (a city in the western part of Kenya) by some of the Asian families living in that area and has since worked its way around Kenya becoming a popular way to pass the time and eat some of the best food on the face of the earth.  So, our goal in starting this blog is not to inform you of what is going on in our very exciting and eventful lives (yeah right), though some tidbits may be included, but to stir thoughts and talk about what we are learning and how we are growing in our walk with Jesus Christ.  By doing so, we are hoping to stir up some conversations.  So we encourage you to leave questions, comments, and encouragements along the way.

For His Glory,

Stu

1 comment: