Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Our First Days Back

Well, we're back home in Kenya safe and sound. We've been here a little over a week now. It was really hard to leave the States this time so I was expecting being back in Kenya to be harder than it has been. We actually just jumped right back in so that his been a blessing. Well, Stu and I jumped back in, Graham had a nasty battle with jet lag first, but he's doing much better now and is spending most of his time terrorizing the dog.
Speaking of the dog. Sometimes it's a painful process to get even small jobs completed here. However the Lord was gracious to us and reminded us that things can also work surprisingly efficiently. Back to the dog. One of Stu's first tasks was to repair our short section of fence so Sham couldn't escape. We discussed it when we went on a family walk. We walked back in the gate and found a pile of wood conveniently laying at the guard station. Stu asked the guard who's it was and if it was for sale. Within 10 min the guard showed up with the requested amount and with another helper. One hour and $5 later, we had a fence that was 3 feet higher. Unfortunately the next morning, Sham the wonderdog, had already managed to escape. So the fence is back on Stu's list of things to fix.
I'm out on my first real escape from the house. I was pretty tied to the house helping Graham through his jet lag so its nice to just be sitting at the coffee shop with fast internet, drinking masala tea. It's a pretty international area so I couldn't even begin to count how many different nationalities have passed me by. Its one of my favorite things about Nairobi, so many cultures with so many stories to tell. When we were in London last weekend we went to Camden Market where we also experienced all different types of people and food. It was so refreshing, as much as I loved my time in the States, I missed being around people that didn't look like me or think like me.
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back home.

    Good you managed to upload albums.Things are changing when it comes to internet speeds in kenya

    Want to know more about your travels soon.

    and will gladly help to build a stronger fence :)

    Welcome back to your other home:)

    ReplyDelete